Saturday, December 16, 2017

An Incredible Journey

Dave and I decided to hit the road for the winter months, to do a bit of sightseeing and to chase the sunshine.  Before heading truly south, we wanted to see some friends and some beaches in Washington and Oregon.
A gorgeous drive on I-84 along the Columbia River.  This view was from a dinner stop, on the Washington side of the river.
 Sunset at Ocean Shores, Washington.
 Sand dollar on the Quinault Reservation.
 Quinault Reservation.  And below is a newt.
It was a pleasure to return a visit from my friends Meghan & Scott in Anacortes, Washington.  They are Antarctic boat friends, who taught me everything about working on ships.  They had driven all the way from Missoula earlier in the year to see me, and this time around we went to Bellingham for a day, hiked a lot and sat in their hot tub talking story for hours.
One of our scenic fall hikes with the golden maple leaves.
 Top of the hike with Lucas.
 View of Anacortes and the Sound.
We went to a Viking Ship launch, because Meghan was one of the boat builders.  It was so great to see one built exactly to form and a fun flashback to our visit to the viking ship museum in Oslo, Norway.
The IKEA near the Portland Airport brought us hours of entertainment on two separate visits.
Right after a hitch at work, I had a several hour layover in Anchorage on my way to Portland.  So I called our Breckenridge friend Joe, and he took me hiking in the Chugach Mountains.
The views were crushingly beautiful.  It was zero degrees though.
The view from the terminus of our hike.  Joe lives just down the road from the trail, north of Anchorage.  And below is Dave in Oregon!  We were thrilled to arrive!
We spent a time off from work at Rockaway Beach in Oregon.  It was thrilling to see the gorgeous beach and arches, go hiking and visit the Columbia River Maritime Museum.  We got to see our friends Matt and Skye in Portland as a bonus!
Oregon Coast
Cape Meares Lighthouse was tiny but gorgeous!  And what a setting!!
Look for Dave in this picture looking up at the ancient Octopus Tree.  Near the lighthouse.
Sunset on Rockaway Beach with the arch off to the left of the photo.
We LOVED the Columbia River Maritime museum, and as a bonus, we got to tour this old floating lighthouse vessel!
One morning the waves were stronger and brought in a lot of froth.
Another lovely walk on Rockaway Beach.
We went on a lot of hikes nearby in the ancient, mossy forests.
Sunset after a long hike.
Very lush rain forests.
The typical view on a drive back from Cannon Beach.
 Another incredible sunset.
We were having dinner at a restaurant on the beach when we were surprised by the colors of this one.
On a walk with Amy, Rob and Hannah.  I got to spend Thanksgiving and a couple days prior with them at their home, and loved my time there.
Got some hot pie baking tips from Hannah, and made my first apple pie (center).  It was a holiday filled with a lot of laughter, warm conversation and joy.  Thank you Amy!
It was a long drive from Oregon to McCall, but well worth it for this beautiful view.  It was only a day, but a spectacular one.  All the snow that had fallen had melted in town.  It was great to be able to take care of some errands and last minute wishes for items for our road-trip.
It was very dark and cold up in Prudhoe, so arriving in Palm Springs to this view was a tonic for my soul!  I spent the night in Palm Springs and caught a ride with Lyft to our car in Twentynine Palms. 
Dave is currently finishing up his 10 day Vipassana Mediation course.  I am the proudest wife, for his strength, courage and grace!
I hadn't been to Joshua Tree National Park since our Suntrek years.  It's so great to come back!  Even more beautiful than I remembered.
The hikes have been rich and rewarding, and unbelievably hot!
Camping at Jumbo Rocks.
The Cholla Cactus garden.
Discovery Trail to Skull Rock Trail.
I swooned when I saw how beautifully this Joshua Tree was casting its shadow.
White's Tank nature hike.
I get to pick Dave up tomorrow morning, and we're off for more desert adventures.  We're meeting my Parents in Las Vegas on the 19th.  Love you guys, Happy Holidays!  

No comments: