Saturday, September 15, 2012

Winter & Tractors

 McMurdo Station from Hut Point, it's dark and cold and really really pretty!
 Vince's Cross at Hut Point
 Me and my CASE tractor out on the sea ice.  Night shift at Winter Fly In (Winfly) is pretty awesome!
 My sweet ride!
 The Challenger (other tractor that I get to drive).
 Moving snow with the CASE.
 Driving the Challenger and can't smile any bigger.
I didn't think about the darkness and didn't think I would get to be among the only 15 people (out of 390) working on the night shift at Winfly.  It's a ghost town!  I've gotten to see auroras three times now, a blue moon, the southern cross almost every night and some pretty incredible satellites.  I love the darkness!  I don't want the sun to come out.  We've had a couple of nights where the temperature dipped down to -59F.  Our crew is just 5 of us and we're getting the equipment and supplies ready for the South Pole Traverse.  Some of that involves pulling equipment and buildings out of the snow that has gathered around the gear since the end of last summer.  Who knew I would love driving tractors this much, I sure didn't.  I'm really really really hoping to get picked up for the summer for the Traverse, but if not I'll be back on day shift in Fuels.  Dave just went back to the Slope after having a wonderful two weeks with his family.  I and everyone else on this continent miss him dearly.  Love you all!  Ildiko

No comments: